Sunday, November 26, 2006

I Hunger

I just recently had to dispose of 800 grams worth of prawns from my refrigerator. Why? I feel that I may have kept it too long, more than a few days, two days more than I had kept the yearling beef that I had procured from the wet market.

I was disturbed (actually, am, since this event occured not more than a few minutes ago) by what I did, but I had no choice, as I wouldn't risk myself to eating meat/seafood that I looks and smells funny. Experience tells me that to smell first before tasting. If it's off to your nose, chances are that it'll also be off to your tongue. I learnt this the hard way, having made hot chocolate out of spoiled milk one too many times.

Disturbed over a small thing, why are you, you might ask. Well for one, I was raised from childhood never to waste anything on my plate, so long as the food was cooked properly and all that, and perhaps my thinking was also reinforced by the images on the television of the hunger in Somalia (circa Black Hawk Down, not the movie, but the real event). To make sure that I was nourished without having to waste, as my parents never believed in waste, and because of that, neither do I. Because wasted food also constitutes wasted finances.

The end result? Ten dollars, 800 grams of prawns wasted. And I'm going to have to have bread for lunch, because I'm out of meat. And cheese. Next time I'll just put it in the freezer.

Currently listening to: Three Days Grace - Pain (Internet Radio)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home