Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Thinking Computers

You know, I've been a computer science student for the past four years, and for the first two years of my studies, I have looked upon my courses as if though they were the bane of my college life. The prospect of not understanding the science behind every action, and the consequence of not really giving a damn to when it really mattered. And thus, I wasted those years on trying to have as much fun as I possibly could in an institution that harboured mostly on looking professional rather than being professional. Patronizing us like the wankers they were, me and my friends began to lose interest and question ourselves why we were in this field in the first place.

That is, until I changed to come to university about last year, where I learned to sacrifice fun and time for a daily routine of hitting the books with an interest to learn for the first time since I learned how to multiply. Numbers, not people. ;)

I was cast alone in an environment that I was unfamiliar with, friends far away and few inbetween, as I set off to the daunting task of making new friends and acquaintances. But yet, I could not help but feel that my time here in university has been well-spent as I have come to grips with the joy of attaining knowledge, no matter how useless it may seem at times. Which is why I wish that I had better lecturers/teachers in the past that made more of an effort to motivate us, and to educate us, rather than being a so hard-arsed on getting people to listen to them as they spoke on things that were redundant. Useful perhaps, but in a medium so boring, so annoying, that even sitting there without a thought in your mind was hard enough to do.

Then I wonder, the lecturers then knew us face-to-face, our names and our characteristics, and for those who proved themselves to be good educators rather than teaching machines became friends, if not acquaintances. Not so with university, where I don't really think lecturers would give a damn about the well-being of a student, but rather to impart knowledge as they would see fit. After all, are we not jars to be filled?

Funny how it is that for the first time, I've actually begun to understand the scenes that work behind the machine. The code that pieces the abode that is the Lawnmower Man's. Understanding the reasons why and how. And for this, I'm grateful.


Currently listening to: Delirious - King or Cripple
King of Fools

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home