Sunday, September 10, 2006

Sights of Malaysia (2)

I do believe that some of these are long overdue. I blame my laziness.
The following were taken by my handphone at the time, so the pics may not be too clear, or wonderful to behold, but as they say, a picture tells a thousand words.


There was this one time where my mate Larson, had trouble with his Proton Tiara, which I thought he should have gotten rid of, but as he said, it was his first car, and made a comparison to a first wife or first girlfriend.

I proceeded to tell him, "Yeah, you fucked up your first wife alright."

"Fuck you!" he replied, which was when we broke down on the highway, but this particular picture below was when the reverse gear could not function right, so we ended up servicing the car with cloth, a bit of duct tape and miscellaneous stuff you usually find under your car carpets. For a couple of hours into the morning. Heck, I even had a nap in that very parking lot, holding the torch up. Larson's on the left, and Richard's the other chap.


One of the best Indian mixed rice shops in Petaling Jaya (in Uptown). I would take six (small) pieces of fried chicken, two servings of vegetables, dahl the whole plate, have a dopple of acar on the side, and I get charged for about 5 Ringgit. Its no surprise that this lady's shop has lines of people queuing up to grab her food during lunch.


One plate of Maggi Goreng, in a mamak somewhere in PJ New Town.


The mamak in PJ New Town.


I tried to capture the atmosphere in one part of Petaling Jaya, sometime in December, when the monsoon season covered most of the peninsula. I have called Melbourne miserable as in windy, wet and cold, but in Malaysia, where you have close to summer temperatures on a near daily basis, the rains that come are a heck lot stronger, more dense and all in all, refreshing. They provide for a good night's rest without the need for air-conditioning, the droplets carried by the winds.

And sometimes you can just stand outside and let the rain come down and touch your lips, your face, and think back to a distant age, where the world was already old, but the memory of Malaysia beginning to form. Grey skies illuminated in some areas by the reaching structures of the Twin Towers and the KL Tower. The lights across a growing city, a nation in its youth.

I get a little romantic when it comes to rain in my country.


And it is at times like these where Teh Tarik tastes best.


No other hamburger in the world can top Ramly Burger. I mean, how many burger stands actually serve deer burgers? This truck, by the way, is one of the ways burgers can be brought to the masses, and they're usually found outside 7-Elevens.


One part of PJ, SS2, specifically.


I'm not sure what you call this, is it Tairu, or something of the sort? Diluted fresh yoghurt, mixed with parsley, some chilli padi, and various different herbs. Some people I know call it a Rasam of sorts, when they couldn't come up with a name for it.


Currently listening to: Ensiferum - Token of Time

(not my usual fare, I know, but I heard it off YouTube, and it has an okay tune to it, even if I don't like the vocals)

1 Comments:

At 4:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey pat!!

can u still remember me???

wow didn't know you blogged so much!!! how's things man?? it's been ages..i cant remember the last time i saw you man.

im now in cape town for 7 weeks. been here for about 3 weeks plus already and it's been good. just doing like an intern thing in the hospital here.

let me knwo how ur doing alright. I do blog once in a while but not very much. Hope all is well in aussie!

dave

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home