Friday, September 22, 2006

Something to Talk About

Weather is slightly overcast in Melbourne today, which is something I've grown to like over the years when I was in Malaysia. I don't really like it all too sunny, or rains that come in monsoon sort of size. Overcast is a bit uncertain, and you never know when it's going to rain or when it's just going to break with a bit of sunshine, though usually it ends with the former.

So there I was on my way back home in a tram, so I pushed down the window and leaned my arms on the window ledge, just to feel the cool, unpredictable wind crash against my face and sway my hair a little bit. A nice feeling, and a lot better than any air-conditioning, if you know what I mean.

And as we came up to a tram stop at a cross junction, one dude listening on his headphones looked up at me and started to grin, and laugh a bit. I thought he was perhaps talking to someone by means of those hand-free sets, but he took both phones out of his ears and asked me this:

"What's happening, mate?"
"Nothing much. Just chillin'," I replied, and returned the grin. If we had stayed longer, I would have made some comment about the weather or something, but then the tram started to move forward.
"See you later, mate."
"See you later, man."

A short conversation between two random guys on the street, which happens quite a lot, even if the settings change. Like the street acrobat I met on the tram, or the man carrying palm stalks for his big vase in the elevator. It's what I like about Melbourne, and Australia as a whole, that you won't find over in Malaysia, unless you are somewhat acquainted with the people or perhaps of the same skin color, or something like that.

I think I'm beginning to really appreciate Australia, this being my second year here.

Currently listening to: Mahavishnu Orchestra - A Lotus on Irish Streams
Inner Mounting Flame

1 Comments:

At 11:51 PM , Blogger TheDugong said...

oh my..

i didnt know you have a blog!
Damn...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home