Monday, February 21, 2005

This is week one so far for me, the first week of my semester, so I'm not subject to any subjects (meh) as of yet. Instead, there are a myriad of activities that I'd have to attend, or not if I want to. Compulsory ones include the Unix sessions and et cetera.

So I get into one called 'C Shot evening' not too long ago, and then the three of us (excluding the lecturer, seeing it was an evening class. People show up less for class in the night, of course, but anyways...) set off to work away on the comps.

Trouble is, the comps are set to Unix. Sun, if you want to be particular about it, and my knowledge of anything Unix is only minimal. I do have SuSe on my comp, but I find no reason what to use it for. As of yet. Perhaps the coming times will see to that. There's the GUI of course, and two little xterms (command-line windows) for you to use. So they type away, and I'm a bit stumped. It has to be done in vi, not that the lecturer minded, but for my learning, I did it anyway.

Which brings me to remember, my previous college used to have Unix machines in their labs. They were confusing and not as pretty as Windows, and of course I remember not using and feeling disinterested in them. I just didn't know how to use one! The only one who did was Chow, because of his previous exposure.

Not long after that, they introduced .NET into the systems, which I didn't take too well to. Why add in something when you take away Unix? I come to another part of the world and they show me how necessary it is to use this, while back home, the penguin's adversary takes all the credit. Not to say that the Panes are bad to use, albeitly evil, but we should have a fair exchange of all things, should we not?

1 Comments:

At 12:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Compulsary *NIX? No wonder so many locals find Hell On Earth down there. Just too diabolically sweet. Don't forget, the man is your friend.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home